The Izmir Biomedicine and Genome Center (IBG) invites applications for a position of an ERA Chair and Head of the Unit for Rare Diseases (project #952346 RareBoost, H2020-WIDESPREAD-06-2020).
IBG is a national Center of Excellence pursuing basic, translational, technological, and industrial research and product development. Its modern, state-of-the art infrastructure and facilities make IBG the largest and best-equipped public biomedical institute in Turkey. The aim of this ERA Chair project is to accelerate IBG’s development to become an international Center of Excellence in Rare Disease research and innovation.
The position of the ERA Chair holder is a 5-year fixed-term contract with the option for a permanent full-time position afterwards.
The prospective candidate is expected to
· take a leadership role in basic and translational research into the underlying mechanisms of rare diseases,
· establish and lead a new interdisciplinary Unit for Rare Diseases at IBG with wide autonomy and independence,
· freely utilize laboratory space of at least 100 m2,
· recruit up to 6 international junior level researcher positions,
· develop national/international collaborations and to expand IBG’s network in rare disease R&D,
· interact closely with IBG’s multidisciplinary faculty.
The successful candidate is expected to:
· hold a PhD, MD or MD/PhD in biological sciences and fulfil conditions specified in European Framework for Research Careers for Established (R3) or Leading (R4) Researcher,
· demonstrate an international reputation based on research excellence related to rare diseases and experience in managing and leading successful research groups,
· demonstrate the ability to secure highly competitive research funding and the capability to compete at ERC level,
· demonstrate the ability to cooperate creatively with multidisciplinary research groups.
Applications should be sent directly to email@example.com and should include (i) a detailed curriculum vitae, (ii) a motivation letter describing the candidate's research and leadership skills and accomplishments.
The evaluation of candidates will start on January 31st, 2023, however applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The initial review of the applications will be completed within two weeks. 3-4 selected candidates will be invited to IBG to explore the potential mutual benefits in person. One candidate will be chosen and expected to start within six months.
IBG is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates fulfilling the requirements specified in this announcement. The position is co-financed from EU funds (ERA Chair) and the hiring of a selected candidate is subject to the European Commission’s approval.
Download CV Template